Thursday, February 28, 2013

Traveler or Tourist


Last night I went to a lecture on one man’s journey in his professional and personal life. He made a distinction between traveler and tourist, and had defined himself as a traveler because his journey had a purpose. I can understand this distinction since the word tourist is often connected with deceit, poor taste, and is considered superficial. Tourists are people that true travelers loath to be associated with.

Because of my love of travel, I was immediately interested in pursuing the distinction further. For me, travel started as a quest of the impossible. My parents rarely left their home except to visit relatives in neighboring states. By the time I entered high school, I had joined groups that took me to Virginia and Washington D.C. College allowed me to spread my wings even further, much to the disapproval of my protective father. I attended a semester abroad in England, traveling through Europe before and after my classes. Travel continues as a passion in my life, one I hope to pass on to my children.  I enjoy the pursuit and planning of trips nearly as much as their eventual execution. My family has come to rely on my planning as the cog that rolls the whole families’ wheel to new and different places multiple times a year.

Coming to the discussion with this much baggage, I would like to better understand how others define “traveler” and “tourist.” We’ll start with traveler, the older of the two words, which can be traced back to the 1480s, and is defined as “A person who is travelling or going from place to place, or along a road or path; one who is on a journey; a wayfarer; a passenger.” ("Traveller." Def. 1a. The Oxford English Dictionary. 2nd. ed. 1989). Tourist, first appeared in the 1780s, and is defined as“One who makes a tour or tours; esp. one who does this for recreation; one who travels for pleasure or culture, visiting a number of places for their objects of interest, scenery, or the like; spec. a member of a touring sports team.” ("Tourist." Def. 1a. The Oxford English Dictionary. 2nd. ed. 1989). If these definitions are to be referenced, the difference between the two words seems to be centered on intent. While a tourist visits places for amusement or pleasure, the true traveler is on a journey which suggests movement from place to place along a committed route. The phrase “going places” comes to mind, as the traveler may be seen as much more serious about her journey. 

Recent travels to Greece make me doubtful that the word tourist is a recent invention. Destinations such as the Oracle of Delphi and the Theatre at Epidaurus were places that people gathered for both spiritual and physical renewal. Each of these locations had both a faith and cleansing component that made them much more like modern day spas and natural wonders. I could easily imagine the ancient visitors collecting trinkets as reminders of their visit before reluctantly returning to their homes.
 
When I started writing this commentary, I wanted to claim the depth of purpose of a “traveler” since to be a “tourist” seemed superficial. Now, I think the two words mean roughly the same thing. While I am sure that a “tourist” is on a journey to places, I am also sure that a “traveler” experiences pleasure and amusement during her travels.  I plan to continue to pursue both options.

No comments:

Post a Comment